Opportunity: Visit With a Friend

 

The formula for doing a good job in photography is to think like a poet.” - Imogen Cunningham


    This past weekend, I visited with an old friend from my time in the Navy. I had been invited to a party in his honor earlier this summer but I was unable to go because my son was in the hospital at the time. But I finally had the chance to see him and was glad I did.

    My friend, an entire generation ahead of me, was an exceptionally intelligent and kind mentor to many of my peers. We all looked up to Bob with respect and no little bit of awe at his patient, easygoing nature as a senior leader in a demanding Navy program not known for its casual nature. He led his division of sailors with aplomb but also spent a lot of time trying to teach all of us many of the intricacies of our ship’s engine room and reactor design. And he was indefatigable. No matter how dense we must have seemed to him sometimes, he would explain again and again how something was built or how it worked, always with laidback grace. Bob would never quit on us.

    That’s what made it all the harder to see him entering hospice care for a brain tumor. Diagnosed two years ago, Bob responded very well to the various procedures and treatments he had to undergo. And according to his wife, he went through all of it with his typical good humor. Because Bob always loves a good joke.

    Bob also enjoyed a good beer or bourbon… in fact the last time we’d been together, many years ago, was at a pub where we enjoyed several such drinks. A couple months ago, he was still well enough to attend his party out at a restaurant surrounded by other friends. Unfortunately, Bob isn’t doing as well now and is at home surrounded by family and visiting friends. His wife, as all spousal caregivers are, is an absolute saint.

    I don’t know how much more time my friend has here but I’m glad I didn’t miss the chance to see him. Of course, diagnosed cancer or not, none of us knows how much time we or those we love have left. If you can visit or call on someone, you should do it. Because tomorrow is promised to no one. Peace be with you, my friends.

Clicking on the image will open it in full screen

‘Opportunity,’ the amazing chance that nature seizes to keep going, near the bank of a small branch of the Pamlico River in the tiny town of Aurora, North Carolina, photographed on the way home from visiting my friend.

www.johnjgiardinaphotography.com



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interconnection: The Way Things Fit Together

Gatherer: A Perfect Partnership

Cow Branch Bend: Part 2 of 3 at Carolina Sandhills NWR