Applause: Unseen and Unappreciated

A photograph is a secret about a secret. The more it tells you the less you know.” - Diane Arbus


    I didn't see it when I composed and captured this image that beautiful morning on the sands of Rehoboth Beach. And I wasn't certain I would process it in monochrome, although I had a suspicion it would work well that way, what with all the contrast.

    But what I didn't see was how the pylons of the jetty would glisten in the rising sunlight revealing several little beings robotically clapping in unison at the coming of the light. I saw it clear as day, although not a single other person seemed to. I'm not sure the witticism in my title for the photograph helped either. Either way, I suppose it is now a private joke, one I'm sharing with you.

    As for the quote from my old Roman favorite, it's of a different though related note. Even if something gathers no acclaim, it doesn't lessen its intrinsic value. It is beautiful all the same. Remember that. From my post on December 17, 2022...

    “Beautiful things of any kind are beautiful in themselves and sufficient to themselves. Praise is extraneous. The object of praise remains what it was — no better and no worse.” - Marcus Aurelius

Clicking on the image will open it in full screen

‘Applause,’ a dramatic monochrome instant in time as the surf claps against one of the wooden jetties helping to protect beautiful Rehoboth Beach in coastal southern Delaware.

www.johnjgiardinaphotography.com



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interconnection: The Way Things Fit Together

Gatherer: A Perfect Partnership

Cow Branch Bend: Part 2 of 3 at Carolina Sandhills NWR