Small Siege: A Wild Surprise in South Carolina

 

I almost never set out to photograph a landscape, nor do I think of my camera as a mean of recording a mountain or an animal unless I absolutely need a 'record shot.' My first thought is always of light.” - Galen Rowell


    I was surprised by how bright the birds were in the afternoon sun. Their white feathers reflected so much light that my camera consistently overexposed them unless I took great pains to meter directly on their gleaming bodies. Of course, this darkened the background behind the birds, but I think it resulted in a beautiful look to the image. See for yourself as I share what happened in my post dated December 3, 2022...

 Although my visit started with a gross underestimation of how far I would be hiking in the South Carolina lowcountry heat and humidity, I was also cursed with the hubris of ignoring the large sign warning me to bring drinking water as there would be none available inside the refuge. After walking a long way along the Mackay Creek on the west side of the small island just north of Hilton Head, I had captured a few landscape images but was a bit disappointed by the experience. And more than a bit thirsty. Little did I know how my fortune would soon change. 

    I think I heard them first. Then I noticed the many moving specks of white in the distant trees. As I got closer, I could tell I was about to witness one of the magnificent spectacles of the natural world. In a small clump of trees, a staggering number of birds frolicked, primarily great white egrets, but also wood storks and many types of herons. It was a riot of wildlife like I’d never seen before.

    In a future post, I’ll share with you why so many egrets were present but suffice to say, love had been in the air. And I continued to be favored with good luck as I met a fellow photographer who specializes in wildlife images. David was kind and patient with me and my many questions and we hit it off well enough to agree to meet the next morning at a beach on Hilton Head to continue our photography adventures. Look up wildlifeshooter on Instagram to see his amazing work.

    Peace be with you my friends. And always bring your water bottle with you!

Clicking on the image will open it in full screen

‘Small Siege,’ a close view of a trio of beautiful great white egrets with their gorgeous aigrette breeding plumes fluttering in the breeze, balanced in the treetops of the Pinckney Island National Wildlife Refuge in coastal South Carolina.

www.johnjgiardinaphotography.com



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interconnection: The Way Things Fit Together

Gatherer: A Perfect Partnership

Cow Branch Bend: Part 2 of 3 at Carolina Sandhills NWR