The Eastern Shore of Virginia: The Pleasures of the Marsh

 

I find it some of the hardest photography and the most challenging photography I've ever done. It's a real challenge to work with the natural features and the natural light.” - Galen Rowell


    I love taking the long way on road trips, avoiding the highway and choosing the backroads when possible. And off those backroads are often the most amazing natural places to stop and visit. So many of these places can be reached quickly from the vehicle making them accessible to almost anyone. And some of my favorite places are the marshes common along the east coast of the United States. As I wrote in my post on May 7, 2022...

   What fondness for the marshy junction of sea and land I feel! Whether it be along the shores of the inland bays of southern Delaware, or the Lowcountry of South Carolina, or here, in the wonder of the eastern shore of Virginia, they all hold me enthralled in their great natural beauty. I feel the warmth of the setting sun on my skin as I revel in the glorious evening light, the sounds of the shore birds and crickets in my ears, and the smell of the briny water and green grasses in my nose. Lo, but how I truly love this exceptional place.

    Peace be with you, my friends. I hope you share some small bit of my regard for these jewels we are so blessed to enjoy.

Clicking on the image will open it in full screen

‘The Eastern Shore of Virginia,’ an intimate look at the treasured marsh at the southernmost tip of the Delmarva peninsula, on a lovely sunset evening.

www.johnjgiardinaphotography.com


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interconnection: The Way Things Fit Together

Gatherer: A Perfect Partnership

Cow Branch Bend: Part 2 of 3 at Carolina Sandhills NWR